Sunday, January 03, 2010

Your eighteenth birthday is more overrated than Michael Jackson.

Because I do not see the need to get all euphoric from being 18 years old.


If you asked me how it feels like being officially "legal", I would tell you it felt just like my 17th birthday; and the previous 16 birthdays before it. Not that I can recall that far back in time but you get the point. It's basically just another number that signifies you have officially grown a year older. Wiser? Probably not.

So you say you're all excited and psyched up because you're "legal" to do what typical 18 year olds are permitted to do - which one way or another has to revolve around beer, nightclubs and cigarettes. But come to think of it, has the "18 and above only" rule ever bothered you or for that matter anyone from entering nightclubs and purchasing cigarettes from their local grocery store as often as they please? I don't think so. I can even imagine someone who has barely reached puberty partying the night away with beer bottles clenched in their hands and their eyes gazing blankly into the heavens above.

People commonly have the misconception that being "legal" gives you the right to do whatever it is that isn't illegal but the reality is simple. Even though you aren't of the legal age, whatever you do isn't illegal as long as you don't get caught. Simple!

For example, stealing an apple from a fruit shop - as long as you don't get caught, the shopowner would most likely not notice an apple being missing from the stash and you get away scot free. But if you do get caught, you get involved in a massive shitstorm which ends up in you getting a hefty fine which could probably buy you enough apples to last a lifetime.

So back to my point. I'm 18, but I somehow don't feel the urge to get drunk from drinking pints and pints of Henieken and/or Tiger beer nor do I feel like smoking a carton of Dunhill and Salem like a human chimney. Call me pathetic but i'm the type of person who thinks that smokers especially those who think its exceptionally cool to smoke should just save their money and jump off a cliff. I'm not being harsh, i'm only saving you the trouble as if and when your health deteriorates and you start getting all sorts of cancers, it would be your family and even your relatives that would have to bare with the expenses and the emotional roller coaster ride. No thanks to that impenetrable brain of yours of course.

And no, I'm not being a sourpuss.

I'm only giving you a heavy dosage of reality.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com